Monday, March 22, 2010

Ask a Korean!

Today, I came across a blog, written by a very outstanding intellectual (much more than myself) who refers to himself as "The Korean". He understands just about every single aspects to what it means to be a Korean and what the country, "Korea" is all about.

As such, this blog talks about VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING about Korea. Here are some particular ones I enjoyed very much about reading:

  • Why is Starcraft so popular in Korea?

    Being a hard core player of Starcraft ever since 1998, I already knew the answer to this but "The Korean" covers more in depth and gives many examples to why this has been the case. He even makes a connection to the board game "go" - which is something I had not even considered of.
  • Why do Koreans hate Japanese?

    Republic of Korea, one of the most racist countries in the world, has a keen tendency to hate everything about Japan more than any other countries in the world. This is an extremely controversial topic in Korea so if you ever plan to live in Korea, I'd say this is a must read.
  • How do I attract a Korean men?

    HAHAHA.. This one was the funniest one to read because it's very true and the facts listed there certainly does not exclude myself.

    But on a serious note, some of the remarks made me think deeply such as this one:

    "1. Remember that majority of Koreans are racists. That means that they despise people whose skins are darker than them. Southeastern Asians are darker than Koreans. You do the math. It's safe to say that in many cases, your relationship will not be based on respect.

    Even if your guy is not racist, his parents, relatives, and friends are going to be racist. That makes a long-term relationship or marriage extremely difficult. At some point, your guy will be forced to choose between you and everyone else he knows. Guess which one he is more likely to choose?"

  • Why do Koreans want to get married so early?

    This one was just an interesting reading for me because it's actually the opposite in my case. Neither myself or my parents want to see me get married anytime before I finish my school (Which will be at least by late 20s, because I still have a military duty to complete). I just wanted to get a feel of "contemporary" reason on why this was the case for rest of the Koreans but not me.
  • Healthcare System in Korea?

    I talk shit about Korea all the time. Believe me, I do - There are MANY aspects to which makes our country a very shitty place to live in but there is ONE thing I highly praise our government for and its the healthcare system of Korea. I've already talked about how shitty American healthcare system is and lightly touched on the healthcare system in Korea but never talked about it in details. Here's your answer.
  • America, the least racist countries of the world

    And finally, the most important read of the day and what surprised me the most about "The Korean's" wisdom and insight. This is a must read to any other ethnicities. Some of the points he makes are ad hominem and to some degree - a post-diction but nonetheless, most of what he speaks of are entirely true.
To close up, I'd like to answer one of the questions I was asked many times - just in many different forms. "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH KOREA?". Here is a very satisfying answer I finally found:

"Korea is a unique place; no other country in the world brought itself out of utter poverty to a leading economic power within a few decades while surviving two devastating wars under two different countries' occupation. Many things about Korea require a radically different mindset from any other country’s mindset to understand properly – which is really what being exposed to a different culture is all about. Often, many people fail to get into that mindset, and instead wonder why Korea/Koreans are so "irrational" or "stupid". (Again, remember -- if the only explanation you can think of to explain a group of people's actions is "stupidity", you are the one who is stupid, not them.)"

No comments:

Post a Comment